Video Appointments are Available

Allergy Testing Specialist

Rakesh Chugh, MD

Internal Medicine located in Tinley Park, IL

Whether you think you have allergies to environmental allergens, certain foods, or chemicals, being tested provides you with a way to know for sure. You can then take steps to lower your risk of having allergic reactions. Rakesh Chugh, MD offers allergy testing, including skin tests, for adults in Tinley Park, Illinois who suspect that they’re allergic to certain substances.

Allergy Testing Q & A

Why do I have allergies?

You experience allergic reactions when your immune system thinks that certain substances are a threat. Although these substances are harmless, your immune system makes antibodies and releases chemicals to your bloodstream, resulting in allergy symptoms. Each time you’re exposed to the same substance, your body will react similarly. With some allergies, such as peanut allergies or bee sting allergies, these reactions can get worse and even become life-threatening.

What are the symptoms of allergies?

The symptoms you have with an allergic reaction can vary depending on what you’re allergic to. You might have reactions that cause a rash or other skin problems if you’re allergic to certain foods or chemicals. You might have coughing, sneezing, and other respiratory symptoms if you have seasonal allergies or allergies to pet dander, dust, and other environmental allergens.

Which allergens are common?

There are several kinds of allergens that many people have reactions to. Some of the most common types of allergens that might affect you include:

  • Pollen, mold, ragweed, and grass, which often cause seasonal allergies
  • Pet dander, dust mites, and other indoor allergens
  • Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat, and cow’s milk
  • Stings from bees and other insects
  • Certain medications, such as penicillin
  • Household products that contain certain chemicals, such as cleaning products and detergents

What kinds of allergy testing should I have?

This depends on what you think you might be allergic to. Dr. Chugh will recommend certain types of testing based on suspected allergens. The most common type of allergy test is a skin test, which usually involves having a small amount of your suspected allergen injected into your skin. If your skin gets a reddish bump in that area, it means you’re allergic to that allergen. If you need additional tests, Dr. Chugh might have you do a blood test to determine if you’re allergic to certain allergens.

How can I treat my allergies?

Dr. Chugh will discuss ways to reduce your risk of allergic reactions, especially if you have any potentially life-threatening allergies, such as bee stings. You might need to have an epinephrine auto-injector with you in case you experience a life-threatening reaction. Otherwise, your treatment options might include taking medications to relieve allergy symptoms or having allergy shots to desensitize your immune system.

If you need allergy testing, please contact Rakesh Chugh, MD to schedule an appointment.