Video Appointments are Available

Rash Specialist

Rakesh Chugh, MD

Internal Medicine located in Tinley Park, IL

Having a rash can cause you a considerable amount of discomfort or embarrassment, especially if it’s itchy or in a highly noticeable area. While many rashes are not a serious problem, some can indicate that you have an underlying health issue that needs to be treated. Rakesh Chugh, MD offers diagnoses and treatment for adults in Tinley Park, Illinois who have rashes.

Rash Q & A

What are the symptoms of a rash?

Rashes can vary widely regarding their appearance. Dr. Chugh will examine your rash and note the following factors to determine what type you have and what might be causing it:

  • Location, such as widespread or only on certain parts of your body
  • Raised bumps or flat patches or spots
  • Size of spots, bumps, or patches
  • Color, such as reddish or white
  • Itchiness or soreness

Dr. Chugh will also want to know if you have other symptoms, such as a fever or nausea, which helps him find the exact cause of your rash.

What causes rashes?

You can get rashes from several possible causes. Viral, bacterial, and fungal infections can cause your skin to break out in a rash. These rashes are sometimes accompanied by other symptoms, such as a fever.

You can also get rashes from skin conditions, such as eczema or psoriasis, which usually occur on a chronic basis. Allergic reactions to certain chemicals, foods, medications, plants, or other allergens can also cause skin rashes. Alternatively, you might also have a rash from an underlying medical condition, such as autoimmune disorders.

When do I need medical care for a rash?

Mild rashes sometimes pass away on their own, but some rashes need medical attention. If any of the following occur, you should see Dr. Chugh for an exam and diagnosis:

  • Rash gets worse or lasts for several days
  • Signs of a skin infection occur, such as pus, redness, and a warm sensation around the affected area
  • Rash occurs with shortness of breath, stiff neck, high fever, or lightheadedness
  • Rash affects your eyes

What treatment do I need for my rash?

It will depend on the rash you have and what’s causing it. Dr. Chugh will discuss treatment options with you after diagnosing your rash.

Based on your diagnosis, you might need to let it pass on its own, apply an ointment to it, take antibiotics if it’s a bacterial infection, or manage an underlying medical condition. If you have a skin condition that needs more specialized care, Dr. Chugh can refer you to a dermatologist for treatment.

If you need treatment for a rash, please contact Rakesh Chugh, MD to set up an appointment.